Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – July 12, 2023
Tom Vanderputten Keith Loutzenhiser Nick Christofeno Jim Mauck Ted Larrison
- The meeting minutes for June 14, 2023 were approved.
- The Little Elkhart continues to run low and clear. Water temperatures remain steady in the mid-60s. Low water has trout tight to cover with rainbows holding in the river pretty strong. Small heavy nymphs or tiny jig flies dropped into deep pockets are effective.
- Mike also explored the Pigeon River brown trout section refereed by Matt Horsley. This section is near Count Rd. 175 off IN 327 south of Orland. Mike took several browns and spooked many more browns. Water was gin clear and the channel has been dredged, so there was not a lot of natural cover and the banks made it difficult. Water was 66 degrees on a very hot day. Conclusion: Good water but not a lot of good cover.
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted a summary report for June, 2023. The total account balances are $26,518.42
- Mike sent a message to Ed Evans (Hatchery Supervisor) for Elkhart Conservation Club. Ed will contact Mike regarding a donation for ECC in the form of equipment and supplies for the hatchery. LECTU wants the hatchery to benefit directly instead of a donation to the foundation fund.
- Mike sent an e-mail to Matt Horsley (Indiana Biologist) about a donation to the state of Indiana brown trout program. Matt will send LECTU the information as to where and who to send the donation.
Web-Site (LECTU.org)(This is reprinted from the June meeting minutes)
- LECTU has struggled recently with updating issues for the LECTU Web-Site.
- Brandon the LECTU website manager will provide both Mike Beachy and Keith Loutzenhiser with a tutorial on managing the site.
- Upgrades to the Wed-Site will be forthcoming.
Corson Riverwoods Park(Reprinted from March Meeting)(Park Development is Progressing)
- Mike is working with Matt Horsley (Northern Indiana Biologist) to file a Citizens Petition to change the status of The Little Elkhart River at the park to Catch and Release.
Tim Flagler Visit
- SJVFF & Duneland Clubs have announced an intermediate Fly Tying Class for Thursday Sept. 21, 2023.
- Cost per student will be $75. More details will be available nearer to the event date.
Summer Work Days
- The summer workday schedule: July 8, July 29, August 5, August 26, and possibly Sept. 9.
- All the dates are Saturdays. Meet at Riverbend Park in Middlebury between 7:30am and 7:45am. And then the group will leave for the chosen river worksite at 8:00am
- On July 8th Mike, Mark Holcomb, and Jim Mauck worked from 8:00am to 1:30pm. They cleaned the Well Field section from the Tire Hole through Tornado Bend. “Cut and Toss” technique to open a centralized flow. Create wing deflections to remain open and scour out the river bottom.
- August 5th LECTU will do a joint project with Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. State Chairman Nick Kaufman from Elkhart is organizing the work detail. Extra LECTU help is needed for several work crews.
Middlebury Youth Fishing Contest
- The contest was held on June 24th. Tom V., Mike, and Mark H. served as judges.
- The turnout this year was small compared to previous years. LECTU donated small kid’s stuff as prizes.
- The Middlebury Riverfest will be held at Riverbend Park on Saturday August 26th.
- The Theme this year will be the Power of the River. There will be a river shocking, and a walk the river event.
- Tom Enright from The Parks Department may need some river guide help with getting kids into the river for exploring.
Indianapolis Fly Casters
- Mike presented a Program on Wednesday July 12th. Mike will report at our August meeting.
- Ted Larrison introduced the topic of donating to “Reel Recovery” an organization for men recovering from cancer. We will discuss further at our August meeting.
Library Key Pickup
- Wayne, Keith, and Mike have been listed by the Library being able to secure a building key for our monthly LECTU meetings. One of them will pick up the key prior to Wednesday of the meeting.
LECTU Meeting Place and Date
- Middlebury Library in downtown Middlebury IN.
Next Meeting – Wednesday – August 9, 2023
Tom Vanderputten – LECTU Secretary